Comments : 6 Comments »
Tags: alice springs, discrimination, hostel, racism, redneck australia
Categories : Democracy, Human rights, Morons
It ought to be one of the markers of a mature liberal democracy that this kind of shit doesn’t happen anymore:
An Alice Springs backpacker hostel may face legal action after it turned away a group of Indigenous people because of their skin colour.The 16 women and children had travelled 300 kilometres from Yuendumu to Alice Springs to train as lifeguards for their community’s new swimming pool.
They checked into the Haven Backpackers resort, but a short time later the manager told them that guests already staying there had complained of being scared.
The group included several young mothers and a three-month-old baby. Most were young leaders, chosen specially for their standing in the Yuendumu community. Read the rest of this entry »
Comments : 3 Comments »
Tags: camden, christmas, irfan yusuf, islamophobia, muslim, racism
Categories : Australian Politics, Democracy, Human rights, Morons, proto-fascism, Religion
Via Ninglun, Irfan Yusuf has a great post on the Camden anti-Muslim rally. The picture and tagline are worth the price of admission alone . . .
Foreign un-Australian ragger from Lakemba nurses the wounds of her son after he got smashed by patriotic Aussies acting on the orders of Hon Rev Fred Nile MLC.
. . . but I thought I’d share with you the touching messages of some of his commenters:
“Jesus is the Son of God or he isn’t.
It is the essential tenet of Christianity. Neither jews nor muslims believe Jesus is the Son of God. Jews have ignored God. Muslims worship Satan. The only thing the three religions have in common is the historical fact that Abraham existed. That’s all.”
“If you’d been to a proper Christian school they should have caned your black arse into red blood and blue bruises every day. You are ugly enough to be the face of Satan here amongst us. Your words are deceptive and poisonous and your heart is evil.
Begone Satanic thing. We shall not betray our Lord and Our Country.”
Read the rest of this entry »
Comments : 2 Comments »
Tags: camden, catholicism, ex-gay, fred nile, homophobia. sexual reorientation therapy, huckabee, islam, phillip pullman, racism, suicide bombers
Categories : Magical Thinking, proto-fascism, Religion
The week in fundie . . .
- How to deal with criticism the Catholic way: censor it. (Via The Frame Problem)
- Blow Up Jeff: suicide-bomber recruiting video aimed at children (Via Pharyngula)
- Fred Nile demonstrates the good Christian values upon which this country was founded by organising a hate rally against a Muslim school (Sydney Morning Herald)
- Jesus wants you to hate yourself (if you’re gay): Alternet looks at the phenomenon of “sexual reorientation therapy.”
- Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee on AIDS, c. 1992: victims should be quarantined. Huckabee on women, c. 1998: a “wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband.” Mike Huckabee, c. 1998, on what’s ailing American society: “It is now difficult to keep track of the vast array of publicly endorsed and institutionally supported aberrations—from homosexuality and pedophilia to sadomasochism and necrophilia.” Mike Huckabee on non-believers, c. 1998: they’re evildoers. (Via Fundies Say the Darndest Things)
On a lighter note: the Top Ten Most Embarrassing Ways to Die in the Holy Bible.